Choice of ingredients
Here is a list of our herbal soups with the ingredients we prefer to add in to enhance the taste and nutrients:
1) 宁神汤 - Pork ribs / Pork lean meat, enoki mushrooms and oyster mushrooms
2) 健脾虫草花汤 - Pork / Chicken, corns, dried scallops, hams/bacon
3) 木耳养容汤 - Pork ribs / Pork lean meat, tofu, beaten eggs (蛋花）
4) 清润养胃汤 - Pork ribs / Pork lean meat, shimeiji mushrooms
5) 益脑核桃汤 - Pork ribs / Pork lean meat, lotus root, dried squid
6) 祛风天麻汤 - Pork ribs / Pork lean meat, fish / fish head
7) 元气鸡汤 - Chicken, bacon/ham
8) 滋阴润肺汤 - Pork ribs / Pork lean meat, apple / snow pear
9) 灵芝黄芪汤 - Pork ribs / Pork lean meat, shiitake mushrooms, oyster mushrooms
10) 首乌补血汤 - Pork ribs / Pork lean meat, hard boiled egg
11) 百合杏仁汤 - Pork ribs / Pork lean meat, corns
12) 十全大补汤- Pork ribs / Pork lean meat, hard boiled egg / quail egg
13) 海玉花汤 - Pork / Chicken, tofu, corn, ham
14) 养颜补血汤 - Pork ribs / Pork lean meat, hard boiled egg / quail egg
15) 温肾补腰汤 - Pork ribs / Pork lean meat / Chicken
Do not use aluminium or copper pots.
Always place the ingredients together with room temperature water into the soup pot and bring everything to a boil. Do not boil the water first then add ingredients in. This applies to blanching of meat/bones too.
Once the water starts to boil, reduce the heat and let it simmer for 1.5-2hours (very important!).
If you are using slow cooker, you'll have to let it simmer for at least 2 to 3 hours.
Do not use more than 1 litre of water to boil the soup.
If the soup uses dried mushrooms as the ingredients, rinse the mushrooms well and soak them for 1-2 hours. Do not discard the mushroom water, you can add into the soup pot for boiling.
If you can, use both pork ribs + lean meat or chicken bones + drumsticks, together with the ingredient(s) listed above to boil the soups. Its your confinement, you deserved an awesome soup of the day!